Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, August 5, 2016

A safer--and more rustic--garden

     With the many tours here--and increasing age--I decided last year to add some railings where there are steps or stairs.  I installed two last year out of steel in the SW corner.  This summer I added six more, but I used wooden posts and railings instead of steel.  It makes the gardens look more rustic. 




i.
      The wood was from dead limbs, so the whole fence will probably need replacing in ten years or so.  I surrounded the posts with TB (traffic bond) to a depth of 18 inches.  Then railings were screwed to the posts.  Small plastic pots were added on top of each post, screwed down, then another pot placed inside and planted either with Lamium or Mazus reptans, so eventually the plants will spill down the sides as far as the railings.
     The photos above were from five different places in the garden.  Those below were from one.










2 comments:

  1. I like the railings. They blend in a little better than metal pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the railings. They blend in a little better than metal pipes.

    ReplyDelete