Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Sunday, April 25, 2021

The bridge

   Note: My gardens will be open to the public on Saturday, July 31st, from 8-4.  The Garden Conservancy is sponsoring the event, and they charge $10.  One must register with them before the tour at: www.thegardenconservancy.org.  They will open registration sometime in May.  I live near Waukesha, WI about 20 miles southwest of Milwaukee.  

   I built this bridge in my Japanese-style garden in 2001.  I rebuilt it last fall, but I still must replace the two boards on the sides.  A pump recirculates the water from the small pond to a small waterfall about ten feet behind the bridge.  Moss grows on the rocks surrounding the pond, as they are constantly damp or wet.  The red stems are called setae, and they hold the spore capsules until they dry and open to release the spores.






 

6 comments:

  1. I live in waukesha and excited to find your information. I would like to grow moss in my garden. Please share any simple tips to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you go to the website www.mountainmoss.com. Annie Martin owns the firm, and she wrote a book in 2015 that she sells on that site--"The Magical World of Moss Gardening." It was published by Timber Press. She lives in North Carolina, and I recently visited her.

    Good luck,

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please tell me the name of the unusual grass in the above photo, the color is quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not a grass. Rather, it is moss. I have a lot of gardens using moss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining the names of the different plantings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not a bot. I’m looking at this before I tour next Saturday. This gives me an explanation of what I will be seeing and all the work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete