Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, February 6, 2017

More winter green

     An especially cheerful and beautiful moss in the winter is Dicranum scoparium, commonly called broom moss, as its leaves are swept to the side, resembling a broom.  The first three photos show it, the last taken with a closeup macro lens.  I have yet to find this moss growing in SE Wisconsin, as it seems to prefer acidic substrates, and the ground around my home is slightly alkaline.  I collect this moss where it grows in central and northern Wisconsin.
     The last four photos are of my favorite moss, Anomodon rostratus.  Preferring alkaline conditions, I find it in many places in SE Wisconsin, from ground to limestone rocks to the bases of trees.  I often attach it to limestone rocks (sometimes granite rocks) with 100% silicone caulk for anchoring purposes.  If it "likes" the rock, it will put down rhizoids in a few months into the rock.  Then it spreads, as can be seen in the photos.  In these two cases, the moss have been attached for from six to eight months.  The last photo shows a rapidly extending stem
 
 
 
 
 
 
on a rock.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful green. One does crave color this time of year. Interesting how you attach the moss. Those little fingers reaching out to the rock...sweet. Texture is marvelous. It makes me want to pet these clumps, run my fingers across the seemingly soft surface.

    ReplyDelete