Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, February 25, 2017

More from "the other side"

     Here are more photos from Sri Lanka, a sub-tropical delight for plant lovers.  For me, the best were the mosses, the most beautiful I ever saw.  The high humidity and rainfall make for perfect conditions for mosses to grow.
     The WWII cemetery in the capital of Kandy is the most beautiful I ever visited, well landscaped and maintained by a full-time worker.  Many of those buried there are British, killed in bombing raids by the Japanese.
     I also love the tea plantation areas in the south, where the highlands are conducive to tea cultivation.  They were started by the British in the 1800s.  Tea pickers, all women, earn the equivalent of a minimum of $5 for an eight-hour day (prices for many items is a third to half of ours).  They have their harvest weighed four times a day, the last weighing done in their village.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.  

1 comment:

  1. Lovely moss. The cemetery is so neat and tidy. I drink plenty of tea. The shrubs on the hill are gorgeous. Makes me thirsty just seeing them.

    ReplyDelete