Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Making waves

     In Japanese gardens, in Japan and around the world, there are often areas of raked gravel or sand.  These represent the sea, and raking it is done to represent waves in the water.  However, I have often seen raked patterns one would never see in water, such as checkerboard patterns.
     After every rain, I rake my "sea" to reestablish the "waves."  I first water the pea gravel so the slopes maintain a steeper angle.  Next, I rake the main areas with a rake I made out of plywood.  Finally, I rake the areas around and between the boxwoods and rocks with smaller rakes.
     The finished "sea" is most dramatic in the early morning when the shadows are the strongest.








   

No comments:

Post a Comment