Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Snow!! Freeze warning!!

   Yes, it snowed today--mainly snow pellets.  It never got above 43 degrees, and tonight it will freeze.  Oh, well, it could be worse.  On May 10th, 1990, I woke up, looked out the window--and my jaw dropped.  Nine inches of unexpected wet, heavy snow!  As the leaves were out, I lost eight trees. 







   A couple of weeks ago, the Mertensia virginica (Virginia bluebells) were in full bloom. 
   So was the Bergenia cordifolia (Saxifraga or Pig squeak), and it still is.  I do not show much of the leaves, as they are quite tattered from the winter.  I see this plant in Europe far more than in the US.
   The last photos are of a plant whose name I lost.  If anyone knows it, please let me know.  It has very tiny, tightly packed leaves that grow in a mat.  It flowers for a couple of weeks in May.
   The level area just to its right is Vinca Minor (Periwinkle), a viney groundcover.

No comments:

Post a Comment