Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

An artist deserving of recognition

   My uncle, Chester Nowak (pronounced Novak), my mother's brother, was an amateur artist.  He attended the prestigious Layton School of Art in Milwaukee in the 1940s following his service in WWII.  I recently viewed dozens of his works, and two stood out as Japanese in style.  I had a camera store scan them and make prints on canvas-like paper.  As with Vincent Van Gogh, his works now will receive their dutiful recognition.  I am displaying them in my azuyama, or viewing house, in my Japanese-style garden.
   This morning, from 6:15 until 6:45, the paintings were highlighted by the morning sun.  The intense morning light, with long shadows, was absolutely exhilarating.  Uncle Chester would have been most pleased.
   I built the azumaya all by myself two years ago.  The walls are made of stucco.  I will never build another, even in my next life.  But, I am glad I did build this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment