Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, July 27, 2020

My wife loved cats.

   My dear wife, gone now three years (cancer), "planted" numerous cats (and other creatures) around my gardens to "help" me.  And, honestly, she often did as these photos of a cat or two will show.  The photos were taken between 2015 and 2020, though the spot is about 10-12 years old.  It all started with a thick piece of a log left over from another project in another part of the gardens.  Most of the moss appeared on its own.  I think it did a great job.  There are about five species of moss in the garden.  The small fern is Cystopteris fragilis (Fragile fern or Brittle bladderfern), a world-wide fern which spreads readily by spores and rhizomes.  The sixth photo shows a closeup of the dominant moss, Thuidium delicatulum and Thalictrum dioicum (Early meadow rue), a small native perennial that appears often in my gardens
   The first two photos were taken a few weeks ago, and it shows the approach to the "cat garden" that is positioned on the south border of the property, backed up by a stockade fence (replaced in May).








1 comment:

  1. What sweet memories these cats must hold. I am surprised that they don't have any moss on them.

    ReplyDelete