Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Nope, it's not sod

     A cursory glance of the first photo would lead one to believe that I am laying sod in my Williamsburg Garden.  After all, with the deepening shade there as the trees get bigger, I have been doing just that each May.  But I finally decided to get radical--so I tore out the grass and replaced it with a moss I never used before, Climacium americanum, commonly called tree moss, as it looks like tiny palm trees.  This moss is generally found in very wet conditions, but I sometimes find it, as I did in this case, in drier conditions. 
     It is especially stunning when some sun shines through the tree canopy, but I find that impossible
to capture with a camera, as is evident in photos five and six.  Believe me, you just have to be here!






  

2 comments: