Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, October 27, 2016

No more leaks

     Finally, after 15 years, the leaks in my corner waterfalls are over--after 40+ hours of work.  As I mentioned in the last post, only the concrete base of the old falls was left intact.  The planks in the second photo were treated to resist rotting.  Thus, they should last until I am 120 years old or so.  The large rubber liner now underlies the entire system.  I did not do that with the first falls, a serious mistake--costing me all this work.
     I changed the design, so now instead of two tanks of water there is one.  And I raised the falls by a foot, so it now sounds a bit louder.  Finally, the falls is sloping somewhat instead of the vertical drop of the earlier system.
     When building the new falls, I left several ledges and outcroppings for plant containers.  Trailing plants "soften" the rock hardscape, also making it appear more natural.  The overhanging branches of the sugar maple and cotoneaster have the same effect.  Of course, the system is still not completely natural looking.  But I think it is just as good as something Mother Nature would have done--if she would have thought of it.  Rationalization can be a good thing.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. The most important thing I read here is 'no leaks'. It looks great. Your hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. My family and I missed the open day tour this summer. My 8 year old niece has been asking to see your moss garden. We live the in Illinois but I am wondering if we could stop by for a quick look this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue,
    I am leaving for Japan this afternoon, so I am sorry that I will not be here. Watch my blog for two open days for visits next summer.


    Dale

    ReplyDelete