Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Finally--some nice weather!

   After three weeks of cool or cold weather, usually cloudy, there have been three days of sunny and warm days.  So, eight to nine hours of fun in the sun resulted.
   These two photos are of the moss Hygroamblystegium varium in its sporophyte (sexual) stage.  The plant extends a stalk (or setae), and at the top is the capsule that holds the spores, which at maturity break open to spread them in the air to colonize new areas.  This species has beautiful red setae with capsules that are green.  I took the photos when the colony was backlighted about an hour before sunset.  I had an extremely hard time getting the camera (Nikon D3200) to focus.  And I was lying on my stomach to get the right angle, so that didn't help.  It really is quite a sight that I cannot begin to capture very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment